Ever wondered how to make macarons? Well now you can with these comfort-food friendly recipes from Liz Franklin’s The Cookie JarMakes 8 INGREDIENTS:
- 110 g icing sugar
- 80 g ground almonds
- 2 large egg whites
- a pinch of salt
- 45 g caster sugar
- Pink food colouring gel
- Raspberry jam to serve
- + 2 baking sheets lined with baking parchment, each marked with 4 cm circles on the underside of the parchment a large piping bag fitted with a very fine nozzle
1. Whizz the icing sugar and ground almonds together in a food processor until very fine and then push the mixture through a fine meshed sieve and set aside.
2. Whisk the egg whites and salt together until stiff and glossy. Add half of the caster sugar, and beat again. Add the remaining sugar and beat again until stiff and glossy.
3. Carefully fold the almond mixture into the egg whites, until they have been fully incorporated but the mixture is still light. Carefully add a little pink colouring and fold in until the macarons are a uniform pink colour.
4. Spoon the mixture into the piping/pastry bag and pipe circles onto the parchment within the circular templates. Tap the baking sheets firmly on the work surface two or three times, to knock out any air bubbles and leave them to stand for 30 minutes. During this time, preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F) Gas 1.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, until the shells are crisp and the macarons have grown little ‘feet’. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Sandwich the shells together with the raspberry jam.
Get more delicious recipes in our latest issue including Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate! Read more here